Sunday, July 15, 2012

Susan's Cupcakes

  
    Everyone who knows me well, knows that I bake. Cookies are my first love, and we will get to that later this year. When my son operated Shack Man Glass Studio & Gallery, I baked 150 cupcakes every month for  First Friday Art Walks. I bravely take the same risk experimenting with cupcake recipes that I take with painting. I believe if you don't try it, then how will you know? In honor of my birthday month and in memory of  the1,000's of cupcakes I've baked, here is a tutorial for creating   cupcake love.
everything begins with an abstracted underpainting on a 5 x 7 sheet of your favorite paper surface.
I painted 4 or them together. In my demos, I always use green tape so that you can see the taped borders throughout the steps. I added a little tape to mask out my confetti pieces and painted my cupcake. I scraped with the back of a small paint brush to expose underpainting as jimmies.
I painted my ground and used a dry stamp to lift the paint from the ground. I used a piece of drywall mesh to scrub through for my cake background.
I also brushed in a little shadow for my cupcake and added highlights. I pulled all the tape revealing the confetti and a a beautiful preserved white border.
_______________________________________________
cupcake love 2
Same techniques used here. I reverse stamped a background behind my birthday candle. I removed the tape and added a flame to my candle, I had a perfect little halo surrounding my candle flame.        I also thought my cake dots were too small so I stamped bright colors over them with the back of       a #2 Black Warrior pencil.
_________________________________________________

cupcake love 3
 
This is designed and painted the same way. The background is reverse stamped - using a dry stamp to lift the paint off the paper while wet. I painted a striped table cloth for my cupcake and added two cherries because two is better than one!
Add a few shadows on the tablecloth and the cupcake paper liner and pull all of the tape to reveal a great little painting.
____________________________________________
cupcake love 4
I used the same techniques as in previous cupcakes. I lifted the candy dots from the wet paint to reveal the candy dots. I used the drywall mesh to scrub in a background. And then I added a stamped phrase to my painting.
There's no one like you!
______________________________________________________________
And here is a great idea
for your cupcake paintings
Mount the painting on a folded 5x7 blank card and send as a birthday card. Don't forget to sign your painting and add a note on the back this is an original painting/card and ready to be framed in a 5 x 7 frame. How's that for a card and gift as one?






2 comments:

  1. These look as good as your cupcakes taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww....you just miss me baking cupcakes. I might be coaxed into baking a few again. Shack Mansion occasionally remarks on the lack of treats in the kitchen.
      Stay tuned for sliced cake!

      Delete